Let your imagination run wild with our marvellous May writing prompts!
In May, we celebrate nature and all of the wonderful things it offers us. We celebrate Spring in the Northern Hemisphere and in the Southern Hemisphere, we celebrate the beauty of Autumn.
May Writing Prompts:
- May 1st is officially World Laughter Day! Can you write about a memory that makes you laugh? What is this memory? Why is it so funny? Who was with you when this happened?
- Do you have any activities you and your family and/or friends like doing in May? If so, what are they? Do they take place indoors or outdoors? What do these activities entail and how do they make you feel?
- On May 3rd, we celebrate our awesome teachers! Can you write a letter to your favorite teacher, explaining why they’re your favorite and what you love most about their lessons?
- You just found a magical flower that has healing powers! How will you use it? Can you write an adventure story about it?
- What would be the perfect way to spend Mother’s Day this year? Could you write a diary entry on any plans or hopes you have for this year’s Mother’s Day?
- Why should we look after our planet? What can happen if we don’t take care of our environment and how does that affect us?
- May 10th is Mother Ocean Day! Did you know that humans have only explored about 15% of the Earth’s oceans? Write a description of the biggest creature you think inhabits our oceans!
- Hello time traveller! It’s May 1st of the year 3000 - what’s changed about our world? What can you see, hear, smell, and touch?
- Write a poem about a cygnet that grew up to be a beautiful swan.
- If you could be any animal (real or fictional), what would you be and why? What does this animal look like? What do they normally eat? Do they have any superpowers or incredible skills?
- My top 5 goals for this month are …
- Hooray, it’s Drawing Day! On the 16th of May, we celebrate this amazing skill. Can you draw something that makes you happy and then write a description of it? Why does this make you happy?
- Who is your favorite person born in May? This can be a friend, family member, celebrity, or fictional character! Why are they your favorite?
- Bzzzzzzzz, May 20th is World Bee Day! Bees are tiny creatures, but they’re really important! Can you research why and write a factual text about it?
- The best day in May so far has been … because …
- Happy Turtle Day! (May 23rd) Write a story about a wise turtle that loves to help others.
- I’m excited for next month because …
Spring Writing Prompts:
- Time for the big Spring clean! Write a list of everything you need to clean your room.
- Can you write a persuasive text to convince your friends that Spring is the best season?
- A bear has overslept and has just woken up this Spring. He finds that all of his friends have been up for over a month. Write a story about why the bear slept in so late and what they need to do now to catch up!
- What are the biggest differences between Spring and Summer? Can you write a piece explaining why the changes between these two seasons are so different?
- Birds are returning from the trip south for the Winter. Write a story about a family of birds flying back north when Spring starts.
More Spring Writing Prompts!
Autumn Writing Prompts:
- Lots of animals prepare for Winter during Autumn to make sure that they are ready for the cold weather. Pick your favorite animal and write about all of the things they need to accomplish before Winter starts.
- What is your favorite thing about Autumn? Do you have a favorite activity or tradition? Tell us about it.
- You are on a quest to find the biggest pumpkin this Autumn. Legend says that when you find it, you get one wish. Describe your quest, and what you want to wish for when you find it.
- Write a poem about why Autumn is beautiful.
- Write a newspaper about Autumn's arrival and what makes it so different than Summer.
More Autumn/Fall Writing Prompts!
Feeling inspired? Keep writing:
With a new change in seasons quickly approaching, we hope these writing prompts inspire some awesome writing pieces! To keep your child writing, try our fun writing exercises for kids on Nightzookeeper.com.
Share your child’s work with us on social media using the hashtag #nzkwritingprompts! You can tag us on:
Make Reading & Writing Fantastically Fun
- ❤Personalized feedback on your child's work
- ❤Improves spelling, grammar and writing skills
- ❤Over 1,000 different learning games and activities