Let your imagination run wild with our marvellous May writing prompts!
In May, we celebrate nature and all of the wonderful things it offers us. We celebrate Spring and all of the new, baby animals that have just arrived and also the beautiful blossoming of the flowers in our gardens, parks and forests.
- May 1st is officially World Laughter Day! Can you write about a memory that makes you laugh? What is this memory? Why is it so funny? Who was with you when this happened? 🎡🎠
- Do you have any activities you and your family and/or friends like doing in May? If so, what are they? Do they take place indoors or outdoors? What do these activities entail and how do they make you feel?
- Time for the big Spring clean! Write a list of everything you need to clean your room. 🪥🧽🪣
- On May 3rd, we celebrate our awesome teachers! Can you write a letter to your favorite teacher, explaining why they’re your favorite and what you love most about their lessons? 🧑🏫
- You just found a magical flower that has healing powers! How will you use it? Can you write an adventure story about it?🪴🌺
- What would be the perfect way to spend Mother’s Day this year? Could you write a diary entry on any plans or hopes you have for this year’s Mother’s Day?
- Can you write a persuasive text to convince your friends that Spring is the best season?
- Why should we look after our planet? What can happen if we don’t take care of our environment and how does that affect us?
- May 10th is Mother Ocean Day! Did you know that humans have only explored about 15% of the Earth’s oceans? Write a description of the biggest creature you think inhabits our oceans!
- Hello time traveller! It’s May 1st of the year 3000 - what’s changed about our world? What can you see, hear, smell and touch?
- Write a poem about a cygnet that grew up to be a beautiful swan.
- If you could be any animal (real or fictional), what would you be and why? What does this animal look like? What do they normally eat? Do they have any superpowers or incredible skills? 🦁🦕🐉
- My top 5 goals for this month are …
- Hooray, it’s Drawing Day! On the 16th of May, we celebrate this amazing skill. Can you draw something that makes you happy and then write a description of it? Why does this make you happy?
- Who is your favorite person born in May? This can be a friend, family member, celebrity or a fictional character! Why are they your favorite?
- Bzzzzzzzz, May 20th is World Bee Day! Bees are tiny creatures, but they’re really important! Can you research why and write a factual text about it?
- The best day in May so far has been … because …
- Happy Turtle Day! (May 23rd) Write a story about a wise turtle that loves to help others.
- I’m excited for next month because …
We hope these inspire some awesome writing pieces! To further your child's literacy skills, check out our reading and writing program and get started with your 7-day free trial today!
Share your child’s work with us on social media using the hashtag #nzkwritingprompts! You can tag us on:
Make Reading & Writing Fantastically Fun
- ❤Personalized feedback on your child's work
- ❤Improves spelling, grammar and writing skills
- ❤Over 1,000 different learning games and activities