25 creative writing prompts for kids to get imaginations flowing!
We love creative writing at Night Zookeeper. In fact, we love it so much we made an entire website to inspire children to produce creative writing!
But sometimes a teacher just needs some exciting prompts to get their student’s imaginations flowing and writing. That’s why we have made this list of 25 creative writing prompts that will get your children inspired and writing in no time!
Please check out the list below and try them with your students!
- You find a door in the school that you have never seen before. You peer through the large keyhole… What happens next?
- Write a story about a Monster that shows up at your birthday party.
- Write a story about a magical ring that can grant your wildest wishes. Until…
- Imagine everything in your school suddenly turned black and white. Write a poem about this?
- You are small enough to live in a shoebox. Write a diary entry about what happens!
- Imagine that you woke up one morning and saw a dinosaur in your backyard. What happens next?
- Write a story about a magical book that changes everything.
- Once upon a time there lived a sad, sad princess. She was always teased by her family, so she set off on an adventure…
- Time for an adventure story: you wake up one morning with wings on your back…what happens?
- There is a monster stealing our creativity! It sucks away imaginations! Can you write a story about it?
- A package arrives. It is shaking violently.The worst part is you didn’t order anything.
- Write a poem based around every human on earth turning blue.
- Tell a story about a time you created a monster. Imagine yourself as a scientist. Use adjectives to describe your monster in detail.
- Imagine you find yourself stranded on a desert island. Write an exciting adventure story based on this island…
- You come across a mysterious portal and bravely decide to enter. Where do you end up?
- You discover an animal that you’ve never seen before and it bestows some magical powers on you that change your life! Write a letter to your friend explaining this.
- If I Found One Million Dollars… Write an adventure story that starts when you discover a bag containing one million dollars.
- Pretend that you are 70 or 80 years old. Complain about what is wrong with “kids these days”!
- Your mission is to write a story persuading Santa that you would make his very best elf.
- Chindōgu (珍道具) is the Japanese art of inventing useless gadgets. Design a useless gadget and persuade people to buy it!
- What superpower would you NOT want and why?
- Write a poem about a flamingo mixed with a monkey.
- Deep in the heart of the mountain lived an evil giant pear! Can you write a story about him?
- Can you invent your own company and write about what it would do?
- Write a rhyming poem about being a pirate!
If you have any other great creative writing prompt ideas, please do send us a comment!
For quick, fun digital writing prompts, check out the Resources area in our blog.