October is the first full month of a brand new season, and as usual, we have lots to write about as we celebrate World Smile Day, World Animal Day, World Teachers’ Day, and Halloween!
If you’re on the hunt for some amazingly creative writing prompts, you’ve come to the right place!
- It’s World Smile Day (1st Friday of October): what is something that makes you smile?
- What is your favorite thing to do in October? Is it an outdoor activity, or a cosy movie day? Tell us all about it!
- Now that the school year is in full swing, what is something you’re looking forward to learning in the month of October?
- October 4th is World Animal Day! Write a short story about finding a new animal species: how did you find this animal? What does it look like? What is its personality like?
- Happy World Teachers’ Day (October 5th)! Write a funny story about your favorite teacher.
- You find a scarecrow at your local pumpkin patch and notice it’s moving! Write a short story about an adventure you go on together.
- What’s your favorite food to eat in October? Can you describe what it is, how it looks, and what it tastes like?
- Write a story about a sea turtle meeting a penguin while on an adventure to find hidden treasure.
- If you were a pirate and you needed to hide stolen treasure, where is the best place to hide it?
- What if there was a magical necklace that could give you any superpower you wanted? First, draw the necklace and then describe it and what powers it has.
- What’s your favorite candy? Candy corn? Skittles? Why is it your favorite?
- Start an October journal - write about the best part of your day, every day!
- Write a recipe for the best pumpkin soup.
- While walking to school you find a kitten whose family cannot be found. What do you do? Tell us a story of how you would help this kitten.
- Write about your favorite memory from last October.
Halloween Writing Prompts:
- You’re trick-or-treating with your friends when you notice a spooky-looking house at the end of the road. What happens when you approach the house? Is anyone in there? Do you knock on the door?
- You enter a jack-o-lantern carving competition. What does yours look like? Can you draw it and then describe it in writing?
- Have you ever visited a haunted house? What did it look like? How did you feel?
- What are you dressing up as this Halloween?
- Story starter: “You won’t believe what happened when I went trick-or-treating!”
More Halloween Writing Prompts!
Autumn/Fall Writing Prompts:
- What makes it feel like it is truly Autumn? Is it the changing leaves? The colder weather?
- What is your favorite thing about Autumn and why?
- Story starter: You have a tree outside your house and every Autumn the leaves always turn yellow. But this year the leaves have turned purple! Write a story about investigating why the tree is now purple.
- What is your favorite Autumn tradition?
- Write a poem all about Autumn using each of your five senses (smell, taste, touch, sight, and hearing).
More Autumn/Fall Writing Prompts!
Spring Writing Prompts:
- What makes Spring so beautiful and different than the other seasons? Write a persuasive article letting us know what the best things about Spring are.
- In the Spring, lots of baby animals are born. In your opinion, what is the cutest baby animal that you would like to have as a pet?
- What is your favorite Spring activity? Why can you only do it in the Spring?
- Write a poem about a bird who has come back after flying north for the winter.
- Many people like to start planting gardens and flowers in the Spring. Does your family plant flowers or keep a garden?
More Spring Writing Prompts!
More creative writing prompts:
With these October-themed prompts, now you can get started on a fantastically fun adventure! When your child joins the Night Zoo, they will interact with amazing writing exercises that will transform their skills within weeks.
Share your child’s work with us using the hashtag #nzkwritingprompts for a chance to be featured on our social media channels!
Make Reading & Writing Fantastically Fun
- ❤Personalized feedback on your child's work
- ❤Improves spelling, grammar and writing skills
- ❤Over 1,000 different learning games and activities