October is the first full month of a brand new season, and as usual, we have lots to write about as we celebrate World Smile Day, World Animal Day, World Teachers’ Day and Halloween!
If you’re on the hunt for some amazingly creative writing prompts, you’ve come to the right place!
- It’s World Smile Day (1st Friday of October): what is something that makes you smile? 😃
- What is your favorite thing to do in October? Is it an outdoor activity, or a cosy movie day in? Tell us all about it! 🍿
- Now that the school year is in full swing, what is something you’re looking forward to learning in the month of October? 💭
- October 4th is World Animal Day! Write a short story about finding a new animal species: how did you find this animal? How does it look like? What is its personality like? 🦒
- Happy World Teachers’ Day (October 5th)! Write a funny story about your favorite teacher.👨🏫
- You’re trick-or-treating with your friends when you notice a spooky-looking house at the end of the road. What happens when you approach the house? Is anyone in there? Do you knock on the door? 🏚
- Describe your perfect Halloween costume. 🧙
- You find a scarecrow at your local pumpkin patch and notice it’s moving! Write a short story about an adventure you go on together. 🗺
- What’s your favorite food to eat in October? Can you describe what it is, how it looks, and what it tastes like? 🥘
- What do you think is the best thing about the back to school season? ✏️
- You enter a jack-o-lantern carving competition. What does yours look like? Can you draw it and then describe it in writing? 🎃
- What’s the best time of the year for a bonfire? Can you explain your opinion? 🔥
- What’s your favorite Halloween candy? Candy corn? Skittles? Why is it your favorite? 🍫
- Start an October journal - write about the best part of your day, everyday! 📓
- What are you dressing up as this Halloween? 👻
- Write a recipe for the best pumpkin soup. 🍲
- Have you ever visited a haunted house? What did it look like? How did you feel? 🧟♂️
- For some of us, it’s fall season. What is your favorite season of the year, and why? 🍁
- Story starter: “You won’t believe what happened when I went trick-or-treating!” 🍬
More creative writing prompts:
September Writing Prompts For Kids
November Writing Prompts For Kids
Picture Writing Prompts For Kids
Graded Writing Prompts
We hope you’ve enjoyed these October-themed prompts, which will for sure help to improve your child’s writing skills! Please share your child’s work with us using the hashtag #nzkwritingprompts for a chance to be featured on our social media channels!
Check out our Halloween writing prompts for kids for extra spooky inspiration!
If you’re looking for additional reading and writing guidance for your child, check out our reading and writing program for full access to thousands of interactive games, activities, and free printable resources!
Make Reading & Writing Fantastically Fun
- ❤Personalized feedback on your child's work
- ❤Improves spelling, grammar and writing skills
- ❤Over 1,000 different learning games and activities