September is one of our favorite months, as we commemorate some very special days, including International Literacy Day and National Book Day.
Here are some great September-themed writing prompts to share with your child:
- September 8th is International Literacy Day. Why is it important to know how to read and write?
- What is your favorite activity to do in September? Can you describe it and tell us why it’s your favorite?
- September 9th is Teddy Bear Day. If you could create your own teddy bear, what would it look like? Create a list of 10 characteristics it would have.
- September 4th is National Wildlife Day in the US. Write about a fun-filled day in the wild, what animals are you hanging out with?
- If a book character was in charge of you for the day, who would it be? What adventures would the character take you on?
- In your opinion, what is the best board game?
- September 7th is Labor Day in the US. Labor Day celebrates workers. What can you achieve through hard work?
- September 13th is Positive Thinking Day! What are some kind words you can think of to help others get through their day?
- September 19th is International Talk Like A Pirate Day. Talk like a pirate for the entire day and write a short essay explaining how your day went. How did people around you act?
- What are 10 things you think everyone should know?
- Would you rather have a purple nose or green ears? Why?
- If you could invite a character from a book, TV series, or film, who would it be? What activities would you do?
- What is your favorite day of the week, why?
- One goal you have for this school year is…
- If you could only eat one thing for the rest of the week, what would it be?
- Would you rather have hands as feet or feet as hands? In a short essay, write about how your day with hands as feet or feet as hands. Was it harder than you thought? Did you have to re-learn anything?
- Write a persuasive essay to your parents, persuading them to take you to your favorite place. What convincing points will you make?
- Would you rather live in an aquarium or a zoo? Why?
- Describe your dream bedroom. What would it have in it? What did your bed look like?
- September 6th is National Read a Book Day in the US! What is your favorite book you’ve read?
- What was the last book you read? Write about the plot, what happened? How did you connect with the characters in the book?
- My favorite piece of clothing is…
- If you were a professional in one sport, what would it be?
- If you could write your own book, what would the story be about?
- If you had a special hat, what would it look like? Would it have any superpowers?
- Would you rather live 100 years in the past or 100 years in the future? Why?
- Describe yourself at the age of 50 - what would it look like? What job would you have? Where are you living? What does your house look like? What kind of car do you drive?
- September 22 is Save the Koalas Day. Describe a day in the life of a Koala.
- You just got a treehouse in your backyard, what is in it?
Feeling inspired? Keep writing:
Now that you have some ideas for some amazingly fun stories, give them a try and see where your child’s imagination goes! To keep your child writing, Night Zookeeper offers a fantastically fun writing program for kids that will continue to inspire them.
Share your child’s work with us using the hashtag #nzkwritingprompts for a chance to be featured on our social media feeds!
Make Reading & Writing Fantastically Fun
- ❤Personalized feedback on your child's work
- ❤Improves spelling, grammar and writing skills
- ❤Over 1,000 different learning games and activities