Now that we’ve settled into the second half of the year and a new school year approaches, get your child’s writing back on track with our best August writing prompts:
- August 2nd is National Ice Cream Sandwich Day in the US. What is your favorite ice cream sandwich? Describe the flavors of your favorite ice cream.
- What is your favorite activity to do during the month of August?
- Invent a character named August. What do they look like? What adventure will they embark on?
- On August 5th, we celebrate Sandcastle Day! Can you draw an epic sandcastle and write a detailed description of it? How many rooms does it have? What’s special about it? Will anyone live in your sandcastle?
- If someone looked in my bedroom, they would know I like to….
- If I could be anyone in the world for a day, I would be…
- On August 9th Smokey the Bear was born. Smokey is responsible for educating people about the danger of forest fires. Write a paragraph persuading campers to handle their fire carefully.
- Also on August 9th, we celebrate National Book Lovers Day in the US! What’s your favorite book and why is it your favorite? What are three things you think everyone should know about this book?
- Journal Prompt: Back to school is here! My favorite subject in school is… because...
- What is one movie you could watch every day for the rest of your life? In an essay, explain the storyline. Who are your favorite characters?
- There’s a dolphin in your bathtub! How are you going to get it out?
- You just won a world championship, what did you win it in? Describe the competition.
- The place that makes me the happiest is…
- August 12th is International Elephant Day! If you could have dinner with an elephant, what would you have?
- You are an inventor whose job is to create toys. What would you create?
- You just won a trip to Hawaii! Who are you taking with you? What items are you packing in your suitcase? How are you traveling to your destination? What activities will you do once you get there?
- Daily writing prompt: My favorite part of the day was... because...
- Describe yourself with rhyming words.
- You find a treasure map, where are you going first?
- You are suddenly stuck on a deserted island, you can only bring one person. Who are you bringing and why?
- August 22nd is National Tooth Fairy Day in the US! Imagine you wake up in the middle of the night and find a tiny, magical door under your pillow! Curious and excited, you open it to discover a secret passage leading to the Tooth Fairy's enchanting realm. Write an adventure story about your journey into this magical world.
- What is your favorite song, write a short story based on your favorite song.
- What is your favorite month of the year and why?
- Fans are going wild in a stadium. What is happening? Who are they cheering for? What are you doing? Where is the stadium located?
- August 26th is International Dog Day! If you could have any dog, what kind would it be? What would you name it? What adventures would you go on with your dog?
- What is one thing you are really good at doing? How did you learn to be good at it?
- What is the best kind of gift to receive? What is the best gift you’ve ever received?
- If everything in the world was one color, what color would it be and why?
- If you could relive one day of your life, what day would it be? Write about the timeline of events that happened and what made it your favorite day.
- What is your dream job?
- What is the craziest dream you have ever had? What events took place? Where were you in the dream?
- You just found a magic blanket that can fly, where are you going?
More Creative Writing Prompts
For more monthly writing prompts and other creative writing ideas, visit our blog! If you’re looking for printable worksheets to improve your child’s writing skills, check out our free writing resources.
Looking for additional support and guidance on how to make writing fun for your child as they head back to school? Nightzookeeper.com is the answer! Our fantastically fun writing program for kids can be used while homeschooling or as a supplemental resource. It includes educational games, skill challenges and interactive lessons to make the writing process simple and exciting for children in years/grade levels 1 to 6.
Try Nightzookeeper.com this school year and watch as your child’s skills and confidence skyrocket! Start a 7-day FREE trial today:
Got any questions? Reach out to us via email at [email protected], or through our social media pages:
Make Reading & Writing Fantastically Fun
- ❤Personalized feedback on your child's work
- ❤Improves spelling, grammar and writing skills
- ❤Over 1,000 different learning games and activities