Now that we’ve settled nicely into the second half of the year, we can’t let our monthly celebrations stop! In August, we celebrate International Dog Day, Ice Cream Sandwich Day, International Elephant Day, and lots more!
We won’t keep you waiting any longer - enjoy these August-themed writing prompts!
- August 2nd is National Ice Cream Sandwich Day. What is your favorite ice cream sandwich? Describe the flavors of your favorite ice cream.
- If you could travel to space, where would you visit first and why?
- Invent a character named August. What do they look like? What adventure will they embark on?
- August 4th is National Owl Day! Pretend you are a nocturnal owl hunting for your food. Write a story about your adventures.
- If someone looked in my bedroom, they would know I like to….
- If I could be anyone in the world for a day, I would be…
- On August 9th Smokey the Bear was born. Smokey is responsible for educating people about the danger of forest fires. Write a paragraph persuading campers to handle their fire carefully.
- My favorite subject in school is….
- What is one movie you could watch every day for the rest of your life? In an essay, explain the storyline. Who are your favorite characters?
- There’s a dolphin in your bathtub! How are you going to get it out?
- You just won the world championship, what did you win it in? Describe the competition.
- The place that makes me the happiest is…
- August 12th is International Elephant Day! If you could have dinner with an Elephant, what would you have?
- You are an inventor whose job is to create toys, what would you create?
- If you could create a new holiday, what would it be? How would you celebrate it?
- One of your characters in Night Zookeeper came alive and now you get to spend a day with them. What will you show them?
- Describe yourself with rhyming words.
- You find a treasure map, where are you going first?
- You are suddenly stuck on a deserted island, you can only bring one person. Who are you bringing and why?
- What is your favorite song, write a short story based on your favorite song.
- If you could start up a company, what would it be?
- Fans are going wild in the stadium. What is happening? Who are they cheering for? What are you doing? Where is the stadium located?
- August 26th is International Dog Day! If you could have any dog, what kind would it be? What would you name it? What adventures would you go on with your dog?
- What is one thing you are really good at doing? How did you learn to be good at it?
- What is the best kind of gift to receive? What is the best gift you’ve ever received?
- If everything in the world was one color, what color would it be?
- If you could relive one day of your life, what day would it be? Write about the timeline of events that happened and what made it your favorite day.
- What is your dream job?
- What is the craziest dream you have ever had? What events took place? Where were you in the dream?
- Name 10 things you hope to accomplish this year.
- You just found a magic blanket that can fly, where are you going?
- What are you looking forward to in August?
Visit the following pages for more creative writing prompts:
Night Zookeeper has interactive writing games for kids that will inspire and help your child grow in their reading and writing skills. You can try our program for free with a 7-day trial today!
Be sure to share your child’s creativity with others, and with us! Use the hashtag #nzkwritingprompts for a chance to be featured on our social media pages!
Make Reading & Writing Fantastically Fun
- ❤Personalized feedback on your child's work
- ❤Improves spelling, grammar and writing skills
- ❤Over 1,000 different learning games and activities