Graded Writing Prompts
100+ Prompts for Grades 1-6
Grade 5 Writing Prompts
Here are some of our favorite writing prompts for Grade 5, which have been created to encourage your child to work on text complexity and think more critically about specific events!
Story sentence starters
- Her eyes opened and once again she had no idea where she was. Where had her powers taken her this time?
- He heard a low growl in the distance as he clung tight to his small bag of possessions…
- She stepped out of the time machine wondering…
- The sun was setting in the distance as…
- “Help!” She awoke from a deep sleep and heard the scream that had woken her more clearly now…
Adverb Story Starters
- Quickly, the friends ran across…
- Suddenly, the ground shook under their feet…
- Curiously, she inched forwards and took hold of the door handle…
- Wisely, the boy crouched down so he could not be seen…
- Gracefully, the swan glided over the lake as ten-year-old Florence watched…
- How does the water cycle work?
- Why does the sun rise and set each day?
- What are stars?
- What does the word ‘science’ mean to you?
- Which scientific invention do you think has been the most important to date?
Morals and Values (children can base these on a historical figure or event)
- Write a story where someone shows kindness towards others.
- Write about a courageous person in the face of danger.
- Write a story about someone displaying forgiveness.
- Write a story about generosity.
- Write an inspirational story.
- If you had your own airplane, where would you go?
- What would happen if you had a dinosaur in your back garden?
- If you could go back in time, where would you go and who would you meet?
- Write about something you have learned this year.
- Imagine you could see into the future. How would you use this special power?