The Night Zookeeper project is available throughout the year and includes the following features:
• Video chat: The Night Zookeeper will awaken children’s imaginations by taking them deep into his magical zoo.
• Animal aerobics: Get active and understand how the amazing creatures in the zoo move and sound.
• Creative thinking workshops: Learn design thinking skills, which enable them to produce original and creative ideas.
• Art workshops: Work with a variety of artistic media to create their animals and habitats.
• Creative writing: Develop unique characters and write adventure stories set in the Night Zoo.
• Digital art sessions: Learn how to use crop, cut and paste tools to add another dimension to original artwork.
• Animal fact finding: Discover amazing facts about the animal kingdom.
What do teachers think?
“The project has made a real difference to the children’s writing. They are using description in a much more effective way and their writing technique has improved. I have seen evidence of the Night Zookeeper ‘style’ coming through in the writing they have done since. There has been a transition from story writing to story-telling, they seem more aware of the fact that they are writing to give pleasure to someone else.” Jackie Powell Year 4 class teacher
“Thanks to an amazing theme week with @nightzookeeper our school blogs are really taking off with teachers enthused and motivated!” Cherise Duxbury year 6 class teacher
“Two parents said to me that their children went home so excited about what they had done at school. These children normally forget what they have done during the day!” Katie Bentham, Headteacher
What do children think?
“The Night Zookeepers are AMAZING!! I think they are so cool, coming up with the Night Zookeeper idea! Don’t you agree they are great? Happy Blogger!” Emilia, Year 6 student. Visit Emilia’s blog to learn more about her day with Night Zookeeper.
“I really enjoyed working with (Night Zookeeper) Paul this week. I’m sure everyone else did too. I invented Ziggy the Zebra for the Night Zoo. I can’t wait until Friday when we show the rest of the school what we have been doing this week!” Sophie, year 5 student
“Night Zookeeper helps you to use your imagination!” Sam, year 3 student